7 natural ways to relieve tooth pain
Tooth pain can come in many forms and if want to know natural ways to relieve toothache pain keep reading. If you have a toothache contact the Keller dentist Dr. Leslie Nason now.
Tooth pain can be caused by infections, gum diseases, teeth grinding, trauma, or an abnormal bite. Symptoms may become more pronounced when you begin to experience a toothache. Side effects range from fever, trouble swallowing, notice an unpleasant discharge, and most often pain when you bite down.
- A salt water rinse is an effective first-line treatment. Salt water is a natural disinfectant, and it can help loosen food particles and debris that may be stuck in between your teeth. Treating a toothache with salt water can reduce inflammation and heal any oral wounds. To use this approach, mix 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) of salt into a glass of warm water and use it as a mouthwash.
- A hydrogen peroxide rinse may also help to relieve pain and inflammation. In addition to killing bacteria, hydrogen peroxide can reduce plaque and heal bleeding gumsTrusted Source. Make sure you properly dilute the hydrogen peroxide. To do this, mix 3-percent hydrogen peroxide with equal parts water, and use it as a mouthwash. Don’t swallow it.
- Use a cold compress to relieve any pain you’re experiencing. When you apply a cold compress, it causes the blood vessels in the area to constrict. This makes pain less severe. The cold can also reduce swelling and inflammation. To use this approach, hold a towel-wrapped bag of ice to the affected area for 20 minutes at a time. You can repeat this every few hours.
- Crushed garlic has been used for thousands of years, garlic has been recognized and used for its medicinal properties. It also has antibacterial properties and can also act as a pain reliever. To use garlic on a toothache, crush a garlic clove to create a paste and apply it to the affected area.
- Vanilla extract can help to numb pain. Its proven antioxidant properties makes it an effective healer. Make sure you use real vanilla rather than imitation vanilla. To use this remedy, dab a small amount of vanilla extract onto your finger or a cotton ball. Apply it directly to the affected area a few times per day.
- Clove oil has been used throughout history as a treat toothaches. Clove oil can numb tooth pain and reduce inflammation. To use this remedy, dilute clove oil with a carrier oil, like sunflower oil. Use a ratio of about 15 drops of clove oil to one ounce of carrier oil. Dab a small amount of the diluted oil onto a cotton ball and apply it to the affected area a few times a day.
- Wheatgrass has countless healing properties and immune-boosting properties. It contains many nutrients that help to fight bacteria. To use wheatgrass you can drink it or use as a mouthwash.
If you have tried these natural ways to relieve tooth pain and your pain persists, call our Keller TX dentist and schedule an appointment to figure out the cause of the problem and provide a solution.